Summary of the project and its results
The Renewable Energy industrial sectors in Brazil and Colombia are going through a rapid modernisation and expansion period as a result of intensive investments from national and global international companies. Similar processes are expected to take place in Cuba in the coming years. There is a sharply growing demand for a new type of qualified graduates in this sector in Latin American countries with a more in-depth professional educational background in Renewable Energy Engineering (REE) with the quality similar to that provided in EU Universities.
Brazilian, Colombian and Cuban Universities participating in this project, run numerous Bachelor and Master level courses developed by themselves, including in Renewable Energy Engineering (REE). Thus, the aim of this project was not a creation of new Bachelor or Master courses but a radical improvement of existing and development of new ones.
To achieve the goal of improving quality of teaching and aligning with EU Universities, it was necessary to deeply modernise the content of existing core modules and teaching methods in REE with the assistance and input of EU universities which had a strong background and experience of teaching in these subjects. It was also necessary to develop additional new modules to address specific country demands in the REE sector. Finally, problems identified in work with PhD students in partner Universities were that in their study students narrowly focused on local practices.
Therefore, the main activities of this project were:
- Modernisation of existing and development of new core modules in REE, taught to Bachelor and Master students to the level of quality corresponding to the EU standard requirements.
- Updating teaching laboratory equipment in Partner Universities.
- Improvement of Skills Development of PhD students in IT, communication, self-assessment, presenting and motivating and competencies for better integration into the international research community.
- Creation of the Project Network, involving companies and other organisations, to strengthen cooperation between HEIs and industrial sector.
The primary outcome of the project was enhanced professional knowledge and skills of Bachelor, Master and PhD students in REE conforming with European standards.
The following other outcomes were achieved in the project:
– The sixty companies have joined the Project NETWORK;
– The thirteen existing modules were modernised and four new modules were developed to enhance the teaching of Renewable Energy technologies at six Partner Universities from Brazil, Cuba and Colombia at the Bachelor’s Level.
– The twelve existing modules were modernised and eleven new modules were developed to enhance the teaching of Renewable Energy technologies at six Partner Universities from Brazil, Cuba and Colombia at the Master’s level;
– All the above modules were taught to students, with the majority being taught several times;
– Laboratory teaching equipment was supplied to all Partner Universities and used in the teaching process.
– 61 students from Partner Universities received internship training in industrial companies.
– 27 PhD students were mentored by academics from the EU Universities as a part of “Distance improvement of Skills Development” activities.
– Quality of teaching materials, teaching and examination methods was monitored using procedures developed in the Project Quality Assurance Plan.
– The shared teaching web platform was created using IT facilities of Università Politecnica delle Marche for distance learning which is accessible for academic staff and students of Partner Universities.
– Seven Project Workshops and four Project Seminars were organized which were attended by 1032 people in total.
– The project was featured on the local TV in Ancona (Italy) and national TV in Cuba.
– One journal and 2 Conference papers were published on activities of the Crux Project.